Sunday, April 24, 2011

Martian Revolution

Planetary colonization has always been an interest of mine. Lately I've been focusing on a story that revolves around a colonial revolt on the planet Mars. I know its a pretty played out idea (Colonies on Mars, Terraforming, etc.) in science fiction, but I think I've got something new to add to the theme. For the moment, I'm going to post some early random designs relating to the Martian Revolution concept. Over time, my posts will take on a narrative form, describing the formation of the colonies, and the origin of the conflict. The main focus of the story will take place after those points, and will focus around a set of characters that make a discovery that will become the catalyst for the revolt.

ABOVE- (This is an early design, I'm still working out the final look of the concept.)
Two of hundreds of free floating, self sustaining Atmosphere Photosynthesizers operate around the clock, converting the thin, mostly CO2 atmosphere to a safe breathable air. A colonist observes them, breathing with the aid of a backpack Breather Unit. At this point, colonists can go outside freely without a space suit to protect them from decompression.

No comments: